Monday, March 11, 2013

Am I Missing Something?

Can somebody please tell me what this crazy obsession with The Hunger Games is about?



         Personally, I was turned off completely when I read the first few pages. I felt as if I was somehow too old to be reading the material. The writing style was geared more towards adolescents or young adults than towards the college educated, especially an English major. My boyfriend, along with my mother, has read the books and love them. Sadly, they are not the only ones with this opinion.

I must be missing something. The ideas, the characters, the plot, everything about the books felt juvenile.



 .Will someone please tell me what I am missing here? Is there anything enticing about this trilogy? I am pretty hard-headed, so I DARE YOU to try to change my mind about The Hunger Games.

Please, feel free to use the comment section to change my mind, argue, debate, anything! Let's talk about BOOKS!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you. Everyone around me completely loved these books and raved about the movie, which I also didn't give a chance soley because I couldn't get into the books. I definitely would say people just got into it because it was a popular fad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am going to begin with the fact that I am actually a huge fan of the Hunger Games trilogy. Here is my opinion: Book #1 Great, Book #2 Okay, Book #3 Horrid (I absolutely hated the ending of Mockingjay - it was a cop-out ending as well as clipped off and ended abruptly). Also, as an English: Writings Major I was required to read this book in my ENG194 class and we had to do a close reading and analyzing of ALL the details. The reason I loved The Hunger Games (and I mean the first book) is because Suzanne Collins' deeper meanings and details were very intriguing to me. All the names of the characters have a deeper meaning behind them. She cleverly connected names with characters that make sense. For example: Katniss is actually the name of an arrow head plant which connects Katniss to her archery skills as well as her knowledge of plants and Peeta is supposed to be like "pita" bread since he grew up in a bakery. Basically we had to analyze these meanings as well as other deeper meanings and I found them to be kind of like a puzzle along with the story. With the symbolism aside, this story is also kind of like a political statement-a warning for the future in a way. (another sort of Dystopian American society) :) sorry for the book ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! I think the reason books like The Hunger Games, Twilight, etc. are so built up is because although they are, in my opinion, poorly written, they are very accessible. They're the equivalent of top 40 music, where the beats are generic and the lyrics mindless, but it's catchy enough that people will dance to it. Although I see the basic point Collins was trying to make, I believe she could have done so much more eloquently and powerfully. These books make me mourn the death of good dystopian literature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of The Hunger Games is "easy read." After the first two pages I could tell that I wouldn't have to use my brain to read the book, if that makes any sense. The way she writes the book is very dull to me, like she wasn't using adjectives to describe, well, anything. I completely agree with you, my cat could have read the book. Why did I read them all? I guess I did like the idea Collins came up with and was waiting for her to throw in a detailed death scene or something? It never came.

    ReplyDelete