Wednesday, February 6, 2013

WELCOME

Welcome to Reader's Illustrated!


Here, you can find my critiques of books that range from the Autobiographies of great American minds, to women's prison writing, and I will even throw in some novels focused on 18th century crime and punishment. I will also critique many of the popular books of today. As an English major in my final year, I have read a great abundance of novels with variant genres. My hope for this blog is to entertain and enlighten through critical analysis and invite the masses to join in my love of reading and writing.

Throughout my future blogs, my views may be cause for debate. I invite anyone and everyone to join in productive argumentation. 

"And as the chief Ends of Conversation are to inform or to be informed, to please or to persuade, I wish well-meaning sensible men would not lessen their Power of doing Good by a Positive assuming Manner that seldom fails to disgust, tends to create Opposition, and to defeat every one of those Purposes for which Speech was given to us, to wit, giving or receiving Information or Pleasure: For If you would inform, a positive dogmatical Manner in advancing your Sentiments, may provoke Contradiction & prevent a candid Attention. If you wish Information and Improvement from the Knowledge of others and yet at the same time express your self as firmly fix’d in your present Opinions, modest sensible Men, who do not love Disputation, will probably leave you undisturb’d in the Possession of your Error; and by such a Manner you can seldom hope to recommend your self in pleasing your Hearers, or to persuade those whose Concurrence you desire."
                                                        
                                                         From Part One of The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, 1793

No comments:

Post a Comment